10.14.2008

All that work for one watermelon...


So many of you know that I've been working on my gardening skills for the last few years. My goal this year was to grow at least 3 things that I would actually eat. I planted two varieties of strawberries, 3 varieties of grapes and 2 varieties of watermelon. (I had a ton of tomatoes also, but my parents eat most of those.) The grapes produced about 7 bunches, and I had about 50 tiny strawberries overall. My Jubilee watermelon plant pretty much took over the yard, and for months, I couldn't see a single watermelon growing...at last, my dad spotted a watermelon that was about the size of an orange. I kept a close eye on it, and after nearly 4 months, I picked it today. It's a bit bigger than a football, and weighs somewhere between 15-20 lbs. I almost hate to cut it open now! :)

1 comment:

kelsey and murray said...

I am pretty impressed with your garden skills! You will have to teach me the ropes one day. So I am thinking you should come down here and we should go to a midnight viewing of the twilight movie! love you