10.13.2008

A visitor!


Okay, if you've never been to Idaho, you probably wonder why ANYONE would live there or visit there. (Believe me, I hear it a lot!) But there are some adventurous souls who brave the unknown and travel to Boise.


My friend Stephan (who now goes by Steve...but I just can't get used to that) sent me a text last week, wanting to know if he could come up for a visit. And of course, I said that it would be great. (I mean, come on, there aren't a ton of people who would a) spend the gas money to drive somewhere so supposedly blah, and b) actually make the 5 hour drive to get here.) Nevertheless, Stephan drove up Friday night to stay for 2 nights and then head back down to BYU on Sunday. We went to the Farmer's Market in downtown Boise on Saturday morning, then toured the Boise Art Museum, only to be amazed...and somewhat disgusted... by Catherine Chalmer's 'American Cockroach' exhibit. After a great dinner at Smoky Mountain Pizza, we decided to check out the "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" movie at the Majestic Theatre. You'd think that would have been enough in the fun day, but get this...my BYU-attending, former missionary friend wants to go clubbing! Nothing against that, but it was a bit unexpected. So, we head to China Blue in Boise, which is one of those mod bars that seem to be all the rage. It took awhile for me to find any rhythm, but we did have a good time dancing at the club, alcohol-free. (Truth be told, I may have become a better dancer if I would have had a Midori Sour or Daquiri!)


I think Stephan definitely realized that Idaho isn't a tiny hole in the wall place, and that it's pretty much like any other city (albeit the crime, a few major retailers and snowbirds). See, it's not so podunk and redneck here after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope when we come to visit that you will be our personal tour guide. I know, I know... I have said many time that we are coming for a visit. But now that gas prices are stabilizing and Genna is old enough to handle the trip we're going to come. We still want to move there! Gotta check it out first. Hope you're well.